Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Between the know and don't know

A rare mid-afternoon post.

In a turbulence where the novel feels as if it's falling apart, yet tightening up. I can see the answer just out of reach, and I'm writing as fast as I can toward it. I'm about...there...where things will feel a lot cleaner and connect faster. It's almost as if I know what I'm writing before I do it, but I don't know what it is until I do it. Perhaps the unconscious is coming out to play. Out of the blue yesterday, I mumbled something about the relation between two characters that I never thought before, but I'm mulling it over, seeing how the Moebius strip of the novel's characters are becoming intertwined in an cascade of fate-twisting.

Good news at the office. My boss asked me if I wanted to do a mini-review of the forthcoming Complete Aeon Flux Animated Collection on DVD, which took me about .00006 seconds to decide that, hell yes I'll do it. Haven't seen Peter Chung's experiment in cartoony cyberkinetic martial arts dystopian jazz in a long time, and am looking forward to seeing my favorite amoral, nearly-nude assassin who died in nearly episode. She was a proto-Kenny McCormick, who died one week only to reappear the next. Badder than Buffy, nuder than Wonder Woman, Aeon was the dark side of the who Girls Rock phenom in the 90s, back when MTV (which aired the episodes at the time) could be applauded for taking risks as they found themselves growing bored with the media they helped create: music videos.

Just a side note related to the novel, the series "villain" (depending on how you watched the series) Trevor Goodchild was a partial inspiration for Rayelle's antagonist, except this Trevor is a more feral version, Frank Luntz with the 28 Days Later virus. Aeon's Trevor was a futuristic Bond baddie, or (eerily) a young Montgomery Burns with his own Aldous Huxley totalitarian play set. Elegant, cold as chrome, genius with an ego problem. The only match for the nimble and cruel Aeon.

The DVDs are, no surprise, out to cash in on the upcoming live-action Aeon Flux flick opening Dec. 2 in America, which looks flat-out laughable, especially when you see award-winning Charlize Theron in her quasi-Trinity body sock. Aeon belongs in her over-the-top upside fang hairstyle and leather g-string combat holster. The only women who could be Aeon are in Cirque du Soleil, which is ideal. Aeon rarely spoke, except to inflict "The Prisoner"-style mindfucks on her prey. Aeon was a lethal ballet artiste, and that's all you need. But yet, instead of dropping $55 million on a live-action version, give $10 million to Chung to make an animated version faithful to its core. At a lower price, the studio will make up the money in first-run and DVD sales. Oh well, no one listens to me.

No comments: