Monday, February 06, 2006

Superbland

Didn't really watch. Apparently all my co-workers are pissy about bad calls. All this morning, the complaining and harping of middle-aged men who believed their proxy identity was slighted. The half-life has started though, with the talk dampening into the afternoon. By Friday, it'll be a distant memory.

Spend the weekend getting my bearing with my wife, and with assorted friends who popped in and out on Saturday. Tea was had, curry was consumed, tiny handheld games were bought. My wife and her childhood friend, both in their 30s, playing Nintendogs on the couch. Sunday, the "Puppy Bowl," where adorable little doggies (real one, not N-pups) froliced in what could only be described as rugby but without the politeness. Half time: kittens playing, and yes that was the cutest thing ever broadcast.

Switched back and forth to "the big game" only to see the most important part: That the upcoming "V for Vendetta" movie (which once was slated to have music by Massive Attack) will be shown in Imax. Oh great comic book god (Will Eisner, if you have to know), please let this comic-to-film adaptation not suck, which is asking a lot since the other Alan Moore material (From Hell, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen) were worthy of MST3K treatment.

A Shapely Tool

My wife has been recruited by the Powers-At-Be who run the American TV show "Veronica Mars" to go down to San Diego (where the show is shot) to be a part of Bloggers Day, where the show thanks people who spread the word (and fanbase) of the show through that new-fangled InterWeb doo-hickery. Needless to say, she's excited, I'm jealous-turned-proud of her, and the cats slept through it all, as cats are wont to do during big news.

In return, the PR people will send my siren of a wife tidbits aboit the show so she can netroots the e-faithful into getting excited. Lo, she is their tool, and she hath no problem with it.

In all fairness, VM is one of the best things on TV here in the states. Sharply written, good characters, and a subtle skewering of race and class....all packed together in a neo-noir MexiCali wrapping. It deserves some hype. And since it's on one of the smaller networks, the show seems happy to take any press it can get.

Live With Me

Is the name of Massive Attack single from its upcoming album.* Street date looks like March 7. Will check iTunes tonight. Happy Happy Joy Joy.

*Some confusion here. There's a greatest hits 2-CD coming March 27, titled "Collected." This is not the upcoming album. However, "Live With Me" will be on the new release and the greatest hits one.

4 comments:

poppycock said...

Me I caught half time and Mick Jagger and immediately left after so I'd say that Superbowl was pretty cool :)

Wow, congratulations to your wife, what a great gig that is.

You know I gotta mind to Limewire and look out for your playlist. I'm so boxed in with my listening choices, and not that I'm complaining, but it's good to look for alternatives.

John said...

I missed the halftime show. Heard mixed things about it. The Stones were cool, the Stones sold out, the audio was mixed poorly, Mick looks like a ghoul.

And I feel boxed in by my music all the time. I got a good 50 songs on my Shuffle, but I always feel like I should be more adventurous and interesting.

I couldn't find any leaked mp3s of the new Massive Attack. I couldn't find any trace of the rumored new Radiohead album coming in a couple months.

poppycock said...

But aren't Radiohead and Massive Attack alternative or punk rock? That sounds like fun :)

Myself, I'm just really time warped on Steely Dan because I feel that their music are the type that I'd write and compose if I made them.

John said...

Massive Attack = trip-hop pioneer.
Radiohead = hrm...not exactly punk rock, but more alt-ish.

When it comes down to it, there's only three acts I need to see live: Peter Gabriel, Massive Attack, and Radiohead.