Thursday, February 09, 2006

If it's Thursday, it must be...

According to UPS, my shirts are in beautiful Hodgkins, Illinois, a small town southwest of Chicago^.



Fun facts about Hodgkins:

*It turned 100 in 1996.
*It was originally known as Gary, an anglo version "derived 'Garibaldi' in honor of the great number of Italian laborers working in a grain mill in the area."
*Its population (as of 2000) is 2,134.
*It has a UPS hub there, obviously.
*It has three mobile home parks.
*It currently has the t-shirts I ordered.

^Note: I lived in Chicago for 20 years, and I never heard of the place. Then again, the small town I grew up in outside Chicago was something like 25,000 in population, and I learned that you only hung out in towns with population larger than yours, deriding the smaller towns as some hick burg you didn't want to get near. Ah, childhood.

3 comments:

John said...

Maybe they can tour the Wonder Bread factory. I bet that'd be fun.

poppycock said...

ah. and it was my childhood fantasy to live ala little house on the prairie and walk two miles to the neighbor's to loan some butter. and i liked their dresses too.

John said...

I did the rural thing for a couple years, working in a farming community in Eastern Washington. The quiet got to me after a while, as well as everyone knowing everything about you, assuming they accept you into the tribe. I lucked out where I lived, so close to two college towns, so there was that bohemia nearby, along with 3 public TV station feeds.

In the Green Acres equation of life, I'm so Eva Gabor I'm afraid. I need the designed claustrophobia of the city, with a layer of trees to wrap around me at any given moment. Hence why I love Seattle.

Thank you for coming by, MM and pika. :)