Monday, April 04, 2005

Today's Word: Meanwhile

Here, in this transition, when the traffic whizzes by, when the people walk down the street, when the interlude sings, is when you learn you have a terminal disease, when your wife leaves you, when the final door closes on a childhood dream. Time regains...and that middlespace of ponderance becomes now, and you have things to do. Emerge.

"Sin City" number one at the box office. Pope dead. Not all that pre-cog of me, but it's nice to get the predictions right once in a while.

I'll spare you a diatribe about a passing of a pope. He was influential for his time. He was a media-friendly pontiff. He was a vanguard for human rights, when he wanted. He hated war. He apologized for the Church's blind eye to the Holocaust. And like all popes, he thought little of women's rights. Or gays. Or children molested by priests.

The irony...God's representative to Earth was as complex and contradictory as the rest of us down here. It's reassuring, in a quiet way, verging on that taint of gloating. But in the end, I'm drawn to the outpouring of love under the clouds of mourning. For hundreds of millions of faithful, this man was their bedrock, and his vacancy will be filled, but it won't be the same. They will miss the coy smile, the stature unique to this Polish man who donned the miter and scepter, the inflection of his native tongue on holy words. When the faithful weep, it's genuine tears, and to have a sincere outpouring from the heart is something I get envious of. I'm not a man of faith. I have too many questions to accept the marching orders. I envy the solace that the faithful have, albeit at the price of their own free will. I marvel at their broken hearts, and I hope to one day understand the alchemy of love and devotion to the divine that they have. I'm more wrapped up in the abstract, which I call my God, than a man in a robe on a throne.

But of them, the masses, I am in awe of their tears.

2 comments:

poppycock said...

John, it's too hot where I'm at, I can't think straight. HELP!!!

Like you I feel awed by the life of the pope and can only quietly stand aside and be amazed at how the world grieves for him. You know he was pope for most of my life and I've seen through all he had effected on the Catholic church ( of which I am not a member anymore ) by his missions, his statements, his travels. I've seen him 3 times myself.

He was a great man of his time. And at the end, like all the rest of us, he is given to his humanity, eventually felled by sickness, after 84 years. No more worries. But not bad for a life, don't you think?

John said...

He did have a very impressive life, although (like every life) once you get into the details, you might not like everything you see. An irony of a pope as every other 20th-century media-driven celebrity: great image, but less-than-perfect moral attitudes. Just like, say, J.Lo or Russell Crowe. And yet, it's in his death he seems most human, most accessible to us lesser mortals.

But I think you and I are in the same boat by knowing this guy as the only pope we've ever seen. And, like you, I'm not a member of the Catholic Church anymore.

Sorry about the heat. We have a bunch of rain, and some sun. Just in time for opening day of baseball.