Thursday, January 27, 2005

Exit points

I've added a few more links for you.

Mrs. P is another blogger. She's in the Philippines and has been very supportive of me as I sally forth into the murky reaches of Blogdom, which I find mostly riddled with American voices so it's refreshing to have a voice from the other side of world to show you just show different yet discomfortingly similar we upright mortals be. She's an elegant writer, intertwining the personal with the more profound and obtuse. Go tease her about her haircut.

BBC News. Because American news sucks. And I say that being a tiny cog in the American Media Machine.

Cursor. A news-ish blog-ish site. Think Drudge Report for adults. Lots of great stuff from media around the world. Plus it has saddled itself with perhaps the biggest pile of news links from around the world.

Adbusters. In my sporadic Noam Chomsky-ish moments of faux-revolutionary insight(usually when I have no media around to distract me), I reason that the 21st century is going to be one of resistance to physical, mental and spiritual colonization by governments, celebrities, radical religion, and advertising. Adbusters is a magazine that aims to disassemble the voluminous bullhorn that is media saturation. I don't always agree with what they come up with, but it shakes me and unnerves me more than anything that hits the magazine rack.

James Wolcott is a writer, a former pop culture critic for Village Voice, and now a contributing editor to the magazine Vanity Fair. His blog is a one-man's Algonquin Round Table, regularly not suffering fools lightly. He is the troll who eats alive the stupidity that comes across the skybridge that has welded the American media to George W. Bush and cronies. All he does is generate excellent words for insane times. I point you to him, dear reader, in lieu of my own amateur-grade swearing at the camera-ready fascists in Washington D.C.

1 comment:

poppycock said...

john,
thanks for the ride.
but your amateur swearing at the camera-ready fascists in washington kept me entertained a whole lot before! anyway, i'm looking in to your other links and enjoying adbusters at the moment.see you in a bit.
mm