Thursday, November 03, 2005

NaNoWriMo Day 3

Word total on hold. It's class tonight, which means I dunno. We might write in class, which could count toward the total if you wanted to be all picky about it. If I was using my brain this morning, I would have brought my laptop with me and kept a faster, more accurate count of my word-fu compared to writing it down on a legal pad and estimating the count. I know I'd cheat and round up to make myself feel better. The fact is, just two days into it, I'm feeling superhuman when I write. I'm banging out more than 1,600 words in under two hours. Mathematically speaking, I could drop 10,000 words in a day. Then again, I fool myself into thinking I could put away a marathon in three hours based on my 30 minutes at the gym.

But this subconscious humming I get from my fingers these days is nothing short of divine. Ideas are branching from each other, crossing and bypassing into other chapters. New minor character, new themes. Problems emerge and resolve. It's liberating to just write away with the freedom that a first draft brings. I'm racing on, keeping away the notions of tying it all together for now. Believe it or not, I think I gagged and shoved the inner editor down into the basement.

Much Coolness

Especially for fans of my departed yet beloved Mystery Science Theater 3000. You can now order every episode ever made here.

Song of the Day: "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me" by U2, which I just noticed could morph into a meta-anthem for Rayelle. Yowsa. The fates at work with serendipitous fingers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey John. Ran across this post while searching for info on home based. Glad I wound up here even though I didn't find a lot about home based related stuff. Good read. Thanks.