Thursday, May 26, 2005

Today's Word: Speed

It's a bit ironic that One Word entry 747 is speed, when you get the obvious link between transoceanic aircraft and acceleration. But what I think about these days is the talk about better video game consoles and speed. Eye candy, but no story telling.

Meh. Not one of my better efforts up there. Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.

Anyway, some news and two updates. Updates first.

First, I'm working on summing up the second half of the novel these days, along with some more key scenes. Next week is the last class for the program, and I have to say I'm in a lot better shape than I was at the start. I don't think I'm going to go on to the second level, if only because I wince at dropping $2,000 at the deal and I fear I'm entering that cocoon where you only write in class and not on your own.

Second, S (who I mentioned a few posts ago) is doing a lot better, although she had a big debt she has to deal with thanks to her CAT scan. The leading theory for her pain is latent injuries from a car accident a few months ago. She's now seeing a chiropractor, who assured S that her visits will be billed to the auto insurance of the fool who hit her. Even after a couple short appointments, S is feeling less pain and getting better acquainted with a good night's sleep.

And now, the news.

Nintendo of America (which is headquarters a few miles away from yours truly) is seeking a staff writer for a publication. People who have read my ramblings know that a few years ago, I applied to be a copy editor at NoA, and even got in for an interview. I didn't get the job, but I'm not disheartened enough to miss this opportunity. I'm mapping out time for the novel and time for a kick-ass resume and cover letter. Hopefully, I'll have both done by Tuesday. I'll send it in after the Memorial Day holiday and then distract myself with the novel so I don't go mad waiting for my mobile to ring.

And not that I'm pre-emptively sucking up or anything, but I'm groovin' on what Nintendo has in store for next-gen consoles. To me, Sony and Microsoft are too much eye candy/not enough innovation. It's all thug games, movie tie-ins, EA sports, shooters, or RPGs. And while that makes money (and is sometimes fun), it gives gamers who are beyond the golden 16-24 demographic a limited sandbox to play in. While Nintendo has its own sandbox problem with Mario-Zelda-Metroid, there's a funky-cool "What the hell" vibe with the Big N. Animal Crossing, Nintendogs, Electroplanton. Quirky is cool, and I'm growing to love it a lot more than zapping pixels. I have to admire Nintendo for not rushing to mimic Sony or Microsoft in the thug/shooter/"mature" department.

There is one problem I have with the job: It's a position I've seen crop up a few times in the past 18 months, making me wonder if there's something wrong with it. Something to keep an eye on.

No comments: