Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Today's Word: Fare

You put it all out there. You bare your soul and rub the nerves raw, hoping you'll come up with enough karmic pocket change to get in. What you never want to admit is, for all your hard work and suffering, you might never be allowed inside. You'll be told No.

Boldly Going Where I've Never Gone Before

Currently hunting down places to submit short stories of the sci-fi flavor. Need to read my 2004 copy of Writer's Market when I get home. Found a writing contest online, but am finding myself getting snobby about the destination of my little story. Would prefer print over online, although online might have more eyeballs in the end. Oh well. Back into the fray.

Also, the final term of the Writing Program starts next Tuesday. I drew the teacher I had at the very beginning. Almost cliche in sci-fi/fantasy epic terms. The student returns to face the master one last time.

Except this teacher likes me, so there goes that overwrought final battle to the death.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

John,

I absolutley LOVE the new Galactica, yes it has some flaws but for the most part it's great and not insulting to the intelligence like so much other TV Sci Fi.
The season finale begins Friday, it's a 2 parter.

Regarding venues for your Sci Fi writing, have you ever heard about Norwescon? If no google it, it's the local Sci Fi convention and has been going strong for 30+ years.
I used to attend and had the pleasurte of meeting Roger Zelazny and William Gibson (1984).

John said...

Argh. Don't spoil it for me. I'm still four episodes behind. I just got done with the one where Baltar is accused for a crime he did commit, but he gets out of it anyway through Deus Ex Cylonia.

I have heard of Norwescon (where the PK Dick Award is handed out), but I can't afford the $60 to get in. I'm saving up for PNWA in the late summer.

Wow, you met Gibson in 1984? Bet it was mobbed then. Were people pissed that Schizomatrix lost out to Neuromancer (as the lore goes)?

Anonymous said...

Actually Gibson was a minor person at Norwescon back then and was only known for a few short stories.

Ah the Schisamatrix, I read that AWFUL book, not in the league of Neuromancer, not one bit.

John said...

Huh. 1984 was when Gibson won the triple crown, but maybe the awards didn't come out until 1985?

Considering I was 12 when Neuromancer dropped, my memory is a bit fuzzy. I finally got to meet Gibson in 2003 when Pattern Recognition came out.