Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Conflicting realities

Incredibly insanely frustratingly exhaustingly maddeningly busy.

Deadline time at work. And then I have class tonight. My synopsis is a harmless bumbling monster with too many blunt edges. Not the sleek space rocket I was hoping for. Last night, I was getting my bag packed for class, and I found a good example for a sparse telegraph-style example of writing a synopsis that would have really helped if, you know, I checked my bag earlier in the week. I have the organizational skills of a loud sneeze.

But since the synopsis is incredibly huge, I'll have something to whittle down. Tonight's effort is a bloated first draft, but I do have a well-detailed map about where I'm going. Good and bad. E.M. Forster is quoted as saying something to the effect that if the plot and characters all too well mapped, then you aren't doing your job as a author. You know, letting the situation evolve and change in dramatic ways. That's the strange thing about writing: You have factions nagging you to map out your novel, and then other groups saying to play it loose. Akin to drafting blueprints while blindfolded. Go figure. Or not. It might be too constricting.

No new entry on One Word as of now.

No comments: