Thursday, February 02, 2006

Superblah

I live in Seattle. I could care less about the Superbowl. I just want it to be over. I want all the hype, all the articles, all the fluff, all the new-found city-proxy pride politics to just drop off the face of the earth. Seattle doesn't care that much about sports (no one got this hot and bothered when the Seattle WNBA team when they won their championship a year back), and no one gave the Seahawks a second glance until a couple games before the playoffs, and then the Fan-Zerg Overmind spread its creep all over this damn wet burg until you can't go anywhere without seeing team colors or the big, blazing "12" (a symbol for the 12th man, that American football psychological tool where the fan is recruited to be part of the warrior tribe through his vocal support, not by actual effort).

I'm not going to talk about how much sports players make, or the billions more that the owners rake in. I'm not going to get all high-minded, talking about how we could be paying attention to larger things right now (Darfur, Iraq, illegal domestic wiretapping). I'm not going to mention the subtle and overt ways American football appeals to proxy masculinity and patriotism while being rampant with advertisizing and violence. No, I'm just fucking sick of every other thing in this town being about a football game that won't matter a week after it's played.

Sunday, I'm going to keep my head down, do laundry, and finally put to use all those Miyazaki animes I have saved on yee ol' DVR.

Song of the Day

DJ Shadow blends Radiohead and George W. Bush. Finally found it after searching the Web for months. Last night, I hit the right alchemy of search words in Google, and the fates smiled upon me.

No comments: