Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Live shirt blogging



Wearing this right now.

With pants...in case you were worried.

A couple quick notes for today before I go back into my job.

1) If you don't read Cursor every day, you really should.

2) I don't know what kinda of technological hoodoo that's involved, but the new Gorillaz CD is packed with some code that won't allow me to take the imported music from iTunes to my Shuffle, which is so backwards and frustrating that I flashed back to the ghastly Dark Ages of the 1990s where you had to *gasp* buy the CD and listen to it. On a CD player. Pre-CD burners. Pre-mp3. Pre-iTunes. I hate going backward in tech, especially when every other CD on earth allows me to swiftly import the disc and drag the files onto my Shuffle so I can listen at the gym or at work. Very simple. Technology works best when you don't have to think about it.

A couple nights ago, I tried again with the CD, loaded it, then dragged the files to my Shuffle. Resistance. As if the files weren't there, or just stubbornly stomping its wee paddies and not wanting to go. Could almost hear the whining.

So, I logged on, bought one of the new Gorillaz's songs from Apple Music Store, downloaded it, and -whoosh- it dropped into my Shuffle with no questions asked.

Now, if I had bought the CD instead of getting it from the library, and then I found out I had to, say, buy it all over again to get it to go on my Shuffle, I'd be so pissed I'd sharpen the CD down to a shuriken and fling it into the forehead of the first musical company executive I saw. If this is how new CDs are going to be coded, where you can't put them on mp3 players, then a) it's going to kill the physical-media music industry (good!) and b) I'm going to start listening to Chet Baker or the golden age of jazz or something instead. Guessing there's no ninja code installed on the early works of Miles Davis.

And sharpen some CDs. Just in case.

No comments: