Friday, June 10, 2005

Today's Word: Laser

A gun, another application of science turned into a weapon. Found in the DVD players and printers. Light as energy, directed and blasted across infinity.

Being Green, it ain't easy

It's Friday, and the end to a week that feels like it's been going on for four months. In the past few days, I've had to deal with some of the worst nightmares I've ever had, which is a complete electromagentic pulse to my needed slumber subroutines. I'm just wiped out, finding it hard to write or get a coherent thought together. I've been off emotionally, too, getting far too upset over things. Small things, random things.

And it doesn't speak well of me, in that celestial report card kinda way, when I simmered in that slow soul burn for 24 hours after learning one of my former classmates is a finalist for the PNWA writing contest. We both write in the same genre, although we have wildly different styles and stories. It felt as if some ghostly indicator pegging him as the one to be published over me, if I ever get the nod at all. And then there is the author in class who finished her draft of her novel, and I sit there congratulating her as well while sinking down in self loathing, yelling at myself why I haven't finished my novel yet. I try and be as supportive and as gracious as possible to my comrades, but the lesser angels of my nature have been buying drinks lately, and it's not pretty.

I know, the ideas of not being finished or a finalist equaling "inferior" is all an invention of the acidic demon monkeys who roam my mind, spraypainting nasty murals just behind my optic nerve. I suppose it's just the dark island of this week, a lowlight that I hope I can put behind me soon. Writers don't win all the time. Writers move at different speed. Just keep your eyes ahead and pay no attention to the vile mirages on the side of the road.

The good news is, I am getting new office furniture soon. If I can swing it, I'm gonna get this sweet desk that looks like something Q built, complete with sleek lines and hidden compartments. And then there's a graduation party for a dear friend who is getting her master's degree this weekend.

As the kids say, w00t!

No comments: