Tuesday, June 10, 2003

Raison d'etre

Hi. Welcome.

This ever-changing blog is a Web window into the development of my writing process, most notably my novel, "Babylon By Twilight". Creating anything is regarded as a journey, so consider this a travelogue. Note: Objects will constantly shift while this vehicle is in motion. Please check back regularly.

A few questions to clear up confusion

Why did you abandon your old site?

I didn't know it then, when I started my old site about a year ago, but something recently happened where I couldn't just keep going on my old site. It's been a hodgepodge of different tools for me, from personal opinion, to political rants, to various junk-drawer text I'd throw up there. It never had a focus, a unifying theme. Granted, you can say that about blogs in general, them being reservoirs for thoughts and not having to have some theme of reason to them.

But I wanted to make a break, start something fresh that will focus on my writings. I decided to cut the Gordian Knot rather than figure a way around the loops and coils. Also, starting with a new blog gives me more of a new palate to paint on. When you start from scratch, you get a chance to try again without making the same mistakes all over again. Somehow, strangely, I feel less burdened, as if a weight is off my chest, sins have been absolved. I'm born again.

And as far as "abandoned" goes, the old site has not been kicked to the curb to rot. It's merely frozen until I figure out what to do with it.

Who is John Ryan?

He is me. Howdy.

What's the purpose of this site?

I'm writing about my writing. I'm going to let you know how I'm progressing with my short stories and my novel. I'll probably bitch a lot about not having enough time to write, or how all the good ideas are taken. Bear with me. I'll eventually post snippets of fiction (something I promised and occasionally delivered on at my old site) and I'll try to make my entries at One Word more of real feature here.

Hey, I noticed you changed some of the links compared to your old site

Yep. You're pretty sharp. You should be looking for WMD in Iraq.

What are you reading now?

Now, I'm reading "The Wicker Man" by Robin Hardy and Anthony Shaffer. Have recently read "Diary" by Chuck Palahniuk and "Please Don't Kill the Freshman" by Zoe Trope.

How do you write?

With my fingers. With my toes, when properly challenged.

Where do you get your ideas from?

I have a sweatshop in Honduras working 24/7. They send the day's results by UPS Worldwide. I get them at my door about 8 a.m. the next day.

Seriously, where I get them from is a mystery. Some are strong ideas that set up shop and become something. Some hit and slide off the back wall of my brain like badly cooked pasta. I have about seven journals stuffed full of ideas and literally hundreds of pieces of paper on which I scribbled something of note. Whenever I get down on myself for not being able to be creative, I rummage through those.

How often will you post?

When I can.

Wait. I have some more questions.

Good. Put them in the comment section below.

No comments: